International Market Assessment and Market Entry Strategies assignment on Zalando
Words : 3500
Background to Zalando
Zalando is an internet retailer of branded clothing and footwear for men, women and children. The company operates in the standard and premium segments, offering a wide range of products. It is expanding the number of exclusive brands offered by its Internet shop. Zalando was established in Germany by Robert Gentz and David Schneider in 2008. The company is headquartered in Berlin and has operated so far only in e-commerce. A customer service hotline and free delivery and free return of goods are offered.
Zalando is the largest online footwear shop in Europe, offering a high number of international brands. Besides footwear, Zalando distributes women’s and men’s outerwear, underwear, hosiery and clothing accessories, as well as bags and a number of other product types. In March 2010 Zalando expanded its product range by adding children’s wear. In January 2011, the internet retailer started to sell exclusive perfume brands. Zalando is a rapidly growing company. Its first acquisition took place in May 2010 with the buyout of MyBrands, an online designer outlet. With the acquisition of MyBrands, Zalando has broadened its target consumer group and its range of premium products.
Zalando is firmly established in the European market. To compete in other global markets, top management has decided to expand Zalando’s products to the Middle Eastern Region and have shortlisted three countries as potential markets: Turkey, Egypt, and UAE. Assume you are a marketing consultant, and Zalando has approached you to assess opportunities in the Middle Eastern Region. The following is the Research Brief you are given by Management:
The Task Considering Zalando being a medium sized firm we want to expand cautiously and step by step. While operating in the whole Middle Eastern Region is a long term objective at first we want to identify the most prospective market to enter. As we want to know which of the three markets the firm should enter first, we want you to undertake a market opportunity assessment. In your analysis, examine the investment environment, effects of government interventionist policies, the market potential, the impact of regional integration initiatives, if any, and related issues with a clear identification of opportunities and threats in each of these markets.
Recommend which country the firm should enter first, explaining why. Also suggest which market entry strategy is more appropriate, with justification. Resource wise, we are confident that we will have no problem to undertake the opportunities identified and recommendations proposed in your report.
Assignment Marking Criteria While marking your assignment we will be looking for evidence for how well you have addressed the question / issues. The following part explains the key points you should consider in preparing your assignment. It is also important to review the specifications and guidelines outlined in your unit handbook, such as ‘Learning outcomes’ along with the ‘Assessment Criteria’, ‘the Assignment Strategy’, etc.
1. Introduction: A brief introduction that provides the background and purpose of the report or its objectives, and how the report is structured. Interpreting the question - this ideally should be clear within the introduction along with background / context.
2. Addressing the question / topic: The main body of the report where the question is addressed. (This part may have a few sections / sub-sections). The key criteria here include: a. Research – evidence of systematic research approach, depth and breadth of research undertaken; application of appropriate conceptual (theoretical / empirical) framework(s), etc. b. Analysis – well focussed on answering the question, depth and clarity of argument, evidence of critical engagement, organising / summarising collected information (e.g. in Tables, Graphs, trends, etc.); answering the questions/tasks fully.
3. Conclusion and recommendations: A clear, concise, and relevant conclusion (and recommendations where appropriate). A conclusion where the key points that have emerged from the discussion are summarised, implications and where further investigation may be appropriate, are stated. Clear and practical recommendations that emerge from the findings and the conclusion.
4. Scholarly practice – a proper referencing within the report (citations), employing appropriate International Business/ Global Marketing vocabulary, etc., the quality of the Reference section. (Harvard style of referencing).
5. Presentation: Neat layout, and headings / sub-headings where appropriate. Pages should be numbered; and also Tables and Figures numbered and labelled sequentially and appropriately. Sources of Tables and Figures should be indicated for each Table and Figure. Clarity of expression (appropriate language, grammar, spelling, etc.). Length of the report should be 3,500 (+/-10%) without including the reference section. Word-count at the end of the report. No attachments / appendices allowed.
Looking for a Solution to the Assignment above, we have a team of experts who have
a complete expertise in completing this assignment within your specified deadline. The
assignment will be uniquely made for you and will be delivered along with Turnitin Plagiarism